Content Filtering companies have gained quite a bit of traction in the Computer Network Defense (CND) industry. The goal of content filtering is to attempt to stem the carnage that malicious sites can wreak on unsuspecting individuals and companies by blocking access to malware and other forms of ransomware.
The filtering engines work by way of proxying requests between the end user and the destination site. Filtering engines use a combination of human control and machine learning to differentiate safe sites from malicious sites. Even more than static understanding of sites, filtering engines can identify when a safe site is hijacked and will block traffic when that known safe site is compromised.
Identifying safe sites is not precise, and is not exact — the task is all a best effort. And the beginning of that best effort is getting a site listed in the engine in the first place. If you don’t have your site listed as “safe” by the content filter company, you will likely be blocked!
Goals of the bad guy
Consider this: The goal of having your web site is to have folks be able to visit the site. At the same time, the goal of malicious web site owners is also to have visitors land on their sites.
Once you’ve built part of your site, be sure to submit your site for review to as many of the content filtering and reputation sites as you can identify. Many companies who deploy the proxy content filter system will deny access to sites that have no reputation, and this will prevent potential users of your site from even accessing your site in the first place.
Content Filter sites to consider
Consider submitting your site to at least the following content filter companies:
- Symantec Bluecoat WebPulse Site Review, https://sitereview.bluecoat.com
- Forcepoint Websense, https://csi.websense.com/
- McAfee Check Single URL,https://www.trustedsource.org
- WebRoot BrightCloud Threat Intelligence, http://www.brightcloud.com/tools/url-ip-lookup.php
- TrendMicro Site Safety Checker, https://global.sitesafety.trendmicro.com/
- Cyren URL Category Check, https://www.cyren.com/security-center/url-category-check
- FortiGuard Labs, https://fortiguard.com/webfilter
- Palo Alto Test a Site, https://urlfiltering.paloaltonetworks.com/
- zVelo Web Categorization, https://zvelo.com/zvelolive/
- Cymon Open Threat Intelligence, http://desenmascara.me/
- Virus Total, https://www.virustotal.com
- Talos real time check, https://talosintelligence.com/
- Site checker, http://app.webinspector.com/
- Norton SafeWeb, https://safeweb.norton.com
- Barracuda, http://www.barracudacentral.org/lookups
- List of places to check: https://zeltser.com/lookup-malicious-websites/